For the last couple of years I’ve set five beauty-related resolutions to pursue (see also: resolutions for 2014, resolutions for 2015). All of these goals have generally been good ones for me to work on, and they tend to be oriented toward long-term progress and development. And so, I definitely didn’t “finish” them over the past year. In fact, there are a couple resolutions that didn’t get addressed much at all. Instead of coming up with a whole new set of resolutions for 2016, I wanted to revisit my resolutions for 2015 and just take a minute to chat about where I’m at with them thus far.
1. Become more familiar with natural base products. In 2014 I resolved to explore natural beauty products, and then for 2015 I more specifically wanted to target natural complexion products like foundations and concealers because it was an area that was still pretty foreign to me. But, I really made minimal progress with this goal. At this point I don’t need more foundations, so it might just take me some time to work through some products in my collection and revisit this goal in a few months or so. If I try 2 new complexion products that are more natural over the next year, I’ll call that a success.
2. Try some indie nail polishes. I’ve failed with this one. It has largely been an issue of financial priorities, really, but it’s definitely still something I want to do, so it’s a fair resolution to keep going forward. In the realm of all beauty products that I use, nail polish tends to generally be less important to me than the stuff that goes on my face. Now that I’m thinking about it, I think I only purchased nail polishes from Sephora’s Formula X line in 2015 (here’s one, and another), which are tempting to me due to their price, quality, and easy availability. There are a lot of fun indie polishes that I see on other blogs and YouTube channels that I find really enticing, though.
3. Try new brands. A year ago I had specifically called out a few brands including Makeup Geek and Paula’s Choice, and I tried both of those brands for the first time in 2015 (check out the links to see reviews). Hey, progress! I also tried The Face Shop, Sibu Beauty, Alaffia, The Honest Co., and a handful of Japanese brands for the first time, to name a few more. There are clearly still tons of other brands I need to try, so I’ll keep moving forward in 2016.
4. Resist the high end. I’ve been pretty good with this. I can think of a few higher end products I purchased throughout the year, but I’ve generally avoided big splurges. I purchased a Cover FX concealer (does that count toward resolution no. 1?) and a mini jar of the Laura Mercier translucent powder. Avoiding the more expensive products allows to me to keep my other resolutions up.
5. Experiment with diet. This goal was, in part, brought on by some troubled hormones which started causing me trouble when I quit birth control. I’m not sure I can attribute the improvements I’ve seen in my hormones and skin issues over the past year to diet, but I did generally manage to improve my consumption of fruits, greens, and fish. I already love to eat fish, and most of the improvement with fruits and greens is thanks to my NutriBullet which I purchased last spring (and really enjoy using). In 2016, I’d love to work more on cooking new dishes with nutrient-rich foods and perhaps try out some dietary supplements.
Please let me know if you have any product recommendations to suggest! Do you make resolutions? I’d love to hear about the goals you have for the coming year!